Irene is the named hurricane that is headed this way, and yes there are a few things that you should do to prepare.
1) If you have in dinghy; take it out of the water and make sure it is lashed down securely on land.
2) Inspect your headlines from your bow cleats down to your chain. Make sure your chafing gear has wear left in it.
3) Remove any “canvas” this includes dodgers, Bimini and other items like them.
4) Remove any other items from the deck of the boat that you would like to keep. i.e. mops, ropes, boathooks, cushions, fuel tanks etc.
5) If you have a sailboat with roller furling, make sure that you have at least 5 tight wraps of sheet around the sail and that everything is cleated off securely.
6) Put some rope around your main sail cover to secure it tightly.
7) Take down flags and pennents
nb anything that flaps, will tear!